Saturday 6 February 2010

Goodtime Boys

So, the gig I mentioned in my 'just the ladies' blog happened last night and I agreed to take photos. Seens as my last shot at it was diabolical (my sheer lack of knowledge on digital cameras in the main) I thought I'd give it another shot. Borrowing a Pentax k100 from Monsieur Price, I felt pretty sure I could achieve some decent shots this time around. I took my 35mm Fisheye Lomo for good measure as did Kayla. We headed to the venue for 6.30pm to catch sound check and get some early snaps in. The guys in Goodtime Boys realised they have no 'band' pictures as a collective.


Rather undecided about how they wanted a band picture to look we headed for the tables. I really like this shot. Ofcourse if I had been a little more prepared I would of had them wearing dinner tweed suits and animal masks (...future project? - maybe leave out the tweed). I think the composition in this one is pretty strong. I like the minimal light, however, if there had been a slight slight slight glow from the other side it would of cut out some of the shadows on the back wall coming from the right. I know I know, I love to pick holes.

We hung around upstairs for a while waiting for the doors to open which happened somewhere around 8pm. The first band were peculiar to say the least. The singer with his long bohemian hair, moved delicately with bare feet in all black, tight tight tight atire. The rest of the band headed above him by a couple of feet and were unsuspecting candidates for what my ears were about to witness. The sound was very System of a Down mixed with...well something equally abstract with the occassional melodic phrase that reminisced that of Brandon Boyd. I couldn't work out whether this bad were serious or just one of those that you take light heartedly and enjoy for the lack of serious aura. I'm still deliberating on that one...

Next up were Goodtime Boys. Only four shows into their music venture the lower floor of Clwb Ifor Bach was packed out. I quickly set up my 2 cameras and got handed a polaroid camera from Jen. I changed batteries, got the aperture and shutter speed ready and hoped that this time round I'd capture some jaw dropping moments from the 20 minute set.

(need to edit the dude out of that one)

Alex is consistantly making for good pictures and I probably could of done a lot of the shoot stood in my initial position. But that would of been boring. I really didn't get a great deal of time to witness the full goings-on of their preformance because of my severe inability to concentrate on more than one thing. But the sound, as alway, was well formed, tight and strong. Heads nodding with eyes fixed on the five band members. They always seem to connect.




Check out a review of their first show here

Their next show is:
24th February - Bristol
10th March - Cardiff Barfly
27th April - Cardiff Barfly


Goodtime Boys
go listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment