Saturday 20 March 2010

au natural

Even though this project has only been in line for two weeks, I'm going to post one of the small 3x3inch paintings I've done.
Considering it is the complete opposite of my 'normal' themes I feel rather proud of my first piece that'll enter a four piece collection with 6 other additions to be added over the next 6 weeks.
Hopefully we'll get a exhibition in the studio space for all this stuff.

Anyway - I'll briefly describe what it is I'm looking to achieve.
In terms of subject matter I tend to focus on working with things that are anatomical whether it be life drawing - portraiture (in various morbid themes) - skull work etc, and ofcourse the illustrative side that I've posted a few entries of on here. This brief allowed us to venture into a completely different world of painting. One that we may not be so familiar with, quite a fearful prospect when you've got into your comfort zone. It requires us to create 3/7 paintings that are the complete opposite to our normal practise in both subject matter and medium.
I chose to venture into the world of nature and oil paint. Nature being something I haven't dabbled with since the tender age of 16 when I left GCSE and oils I've used sparsley and have no real education in this format. For some reason they now seem completely beyond me.
In terms of nature, I still don't feel interested in the 'landscape' or 'still life' in the form that most people would think of - so on a walk through local woodlands I depicted the fungus and moss that grows increasingly on old oak and silver birch trees. Because my work tends to be very representational of the subject I'm painting I wanted to experiment with an abstract feel focusing on different textures and how I can allow oil paint to represent these textures.

Anyway - here is the first 3x3inch painting.


Pretty shocking picture I forgot to upload the white background ones. So this is it complete as of yet. It's in impasto style which means the oil paint has been built up to give a 3D effect. I can't believe I'm saying this is something I've done, it's worlds away from my comfort zone, but insanely enjoyable and energy absorbing!

Luckily through spring break our studios are being kept open so I'm going in to work for 3 days a week to achieve my goal of 7 paintings (more like 10 including all little ones) and sketch book work.

I'm going to try and keep updated but my sleeping pattern has been varying going to bed at a very early (for me) midnight and awake by 8am. woosh, never thought I'd see the day I'd havemore than 5hrs sleep.

2 comments:

  1. thankyouuu. I have a tendancy to think that if my work is representational of something that it's shit. But my tutor completely disagrees. Ofcourse. xxx

    ReplyDelete